Various operations are performed in Outlook like sending, receiving, deleting, archiving, importing, exporting emails and other objects of Outlook. All of these operations have the significant involvement of .pst file. A PST file contains most important and essential data of Outlook which includes emails, contacts, tasks, notes, calendars, journals etc. While working with Outlook, you might need to import the .pst file like in case when you want to transfer Outlook data on another computer. Also importing the file is helpful to restore the backup .pst file to outlook with the help of Import and Export Wizard.
Steps to import Outlook .pst File:
To import the Outlook data file (.pst), follow the below mentioned steps :
1. Go To File menu → click on Open → Import.
2. In the Import and Export Wizard, select the Import from another program or file and click Next.
3. Select Outlook Data file (.pst) and click Next.
4. This will show a Import Outlook Data File Window with browse button. Click on browse button and choose the .pst file which you want to import. In Options section, Select Do not import duplicates unless you want the items that are already in Outlook to be replaced and duplicated by the imported information.
5. Click Next. In case, .pst file is protected with a password then you need to enter the password and click OK.
6. Now select options for importing the .pst file. Generally you do not need to change the default settings. Top Outlook Data file folder is selected by itself. By default Include subfolders check box is checked and all the folders under the selected folder will be imported. “Import items into the same folder” is also selected by default. It matches the folders from the imported file to the folders in Outlook. A new folder will be created, if it does not exist in Outlook.
7. Click on Finish
By following above explained steps you could import Outlook .pst file at the desired location in an easy and safe manner. However, there might be some situations when you find that your .pst file is corrupted when you try to import your file. In such a situation, first scan and repair the .pst file with a suitable and carefully evaluated Outlook PST Repair utility for recovering all Outlook objects. Once .pst file will get repaired, you can import the file without any hassle.