Microsoft Outlook 2010 packs in lots of alluring and useful features which makes it by far the most efficient and intuitive e-mail client. Despite many innovations in the new version, Outlook remains plagued by issues like PST file corruption. A PST file, which stores the vital information like e-mails, calendar entries etc, when becomes corrupt might prompt Outlook to run slowly. In case of severe corruption, Outlook exits unexpectedly at the startup only. Therefore, to get rid off such nagging issues with both PST file and Outlook, it is recommended that you should consider using Inbox Repair Tool. If, for any reason, you do not receive good results, then it is better you opt for a professional PST repair tool.
Consider a scenario, wherein, you launch Outlook 2010 (on Windows 7 system) in order to send some important e-mails to your colleagues and clients. Outlook crashed abruptly, and without any error. But, you get the following error signature stored in the Application Event log on the Outlook:
The root of the problem lies in corruption in your Outlook Personal Folders (PST) file.
To isolate the PST corruption problem and get Outlook working again, you must execute the following Outlook PST repair steps:
· Close Outlook
· Browse to the following path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
· Double-click Scanpast.exe
· Click Browse in the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool dialog box
· Find and select your corrupt Outlook data file, click Open
On Windows Vista system, the PST file is located at the following default location
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
· Click Start in the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool dialog box
· After the scanning gets completed, take the note of the information provided in the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool dialog box.
· Click Repair
· After the repair process has been completed, click OK
· Once you are through with the repair process, you will see the following files in the folder hosting the original PST file
1. filename.bak - This file is a backup of your original, affected PST file. When you want to use this file, all you have to do is change the extension to PST.
2. filename.log - This log file contains information regarding the repair operation performed by the Inbox Repair Tool
3. filename.pst - This is the corrected Outlook PST file
If you are not satisfied with the Inbox Repair Tools results, then you can always go for a third-party PST repair tool.
For efficiently repairing corrupt PST files, you should rely on Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair software. This application repairs corrupt or broken PST files and restores them at a user-defined or original location. The Outlook PST repair application is compatible with MS Outlook 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000.