What to do when you are unable to start MS Outlook 2000
In MS Outlook, you can use various types of background files to store the data that is used while doing corporate communications. Some of the files are OST (Offline Storage Table) and PST (Personal Storage Table) files. Of these two, the PST file maintains the data while being in online mode with the Exchange Server. That means any change that you perform to the PST file will be straightaway reflected to its copy in the Exchange Server. However, sometimes this PST file get corrupt due to various reasons such as virus infections, power outages, bugs in Outlook version, etc. In such cases, you should try out various methods to repair PST file. If you are not able to fix the issue, then you should use a third-party Outlook PST repair tool.
Consider a scenario wherein you unable to start MS Outlook 2000 in your Windows XP system. An error message is getting displayed in this case, that is:
“Unable to display the folder,[path]Outlook.pst could not be accessed, access denied.”
The primary cause of this erroneous situation is that the Outlook.pst file has corrupted. Due to this, Outlook cannot read the information hierarchy of the PST file, thereby displaying the error message.
To fix the problem, you should repair PST file. To do this, you should perform the following steps:
- Exit Outlook.
- Find the 'Scanpst.exe' file to run the Inbox Repair tool. This utility reads and checks the file header for errors. In addition, it rebuilds the item headers and destroys the items that it fails to read. Hence, it is advised that before running this tool you should make a backup of the PST file.
- Now, open Outlook and see if you are able to start it properly. If not, then proceed to perform the following steps:
- Run Scandisk.exe. This tool checks the hard disk for any errors and repairs them.
- You should move the location of the PST file to ascertain whether this error is location specific or not.
- You should look to create a new Outlook profile and try to integrate the PST file to the new profile.
Using the aforementioned steps, you should be able to repair Outlook PST. However, if you still are not able to start Outlook then you should use a third-party PST repair tool. Such tools are read-only in nature that do not modify the original PST file while scanning it.
Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair is an Outlook repair software that is able to repair PST files from instances of corruption. It is able to restore various Outlook objects such as emails (with attachments), calendar items, contacts, tasks, journals, etc from MS Outlook 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002, and 2000. In addition, this repair outlook 2003 software preserves the formatting of the RTF and HTML messages. It is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, Server 2003, XP, and 2000.