Like all other e-mail applications, Microsoft Outlook too is vulnerable to data file corruption risks. Outlook data file is *.pst file and is typically a database that stores all the e-mails, notes, calendars etc. The file can get corrupt due to endless number of reasons such as unexpected shutdown, virus infection, network file sharing and others. Outlook built-in tool called Inbox Repair Tool can solve most of such problems, but not all. In situations when the tool cannot perform the expected task, a PST Repair Software is used.
When an Outlook user tries to open this application, and load the PST file, the application fails and an error box appears with error statements such as:
Besides, the error asks you to send this report to Microsoft with two options 'Send' and 'Don't Send'. Clicking either of the options starts Microsoft Outlook in safe mode. On viewing the error details, the error details read as:
“AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 10.0.2627.1 ModName: mso.dll
ModVer: 10.0.2625.0 Offset: 00054e22”
What Causes this?
Possible causes of such problems in MS Outlook are:
· You have recently installed some Windows updates.
· The Outlook installation includes some missing or corrupted files
· An incompatible add-in is causing Outlook to behave in this manner
· Outlook cannot access PST successfully because it is corrupt
Possible Solutions to resolve the problem:
To resolve the above problem, you need to:
· Remove recently installed Windows updates and see if the issue still persists
· Repair or reinstall Outlook. For repair, use 'Detect and Repair' feature
· Open Outlook and click Tools | Options | Other | Advanced Options | COM Add-ins and clear the check box lying next to the add-in you doubt causing issue
· Run Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) to repair the corrupted PST. If this fails, use a third-party PST Repair Software.
A commercial PST Repair Tool can use powerful and safe scanning algorithms to diagnose and repair a corrupted PST. Moreover, these products are easy to use.
Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair repairs corrupted PST and restores original data in another PST file. The PST Repair Software supports repair of all file created with MS Outlook 2007, 2003, 2002, and 2000. The software has a 3-pane message display and provides advanced repair features. It is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2003, and 2000.