Though Outlook is one of the robust and largely used email clients across the globe but Outlook data files or Personal Storage Table (PST file) files to store emails, contacts, tasks, notes, etc are really very fragile. The Outlook PST files are prone to get corrupt due to reasons like virus infection, power failure, abrupt Outlook shutdown, etc. Most of the times a corrupt PST file renders errors thus we become unable to access any mailbox item stored on this PST file. Though Outlook provides inbuilt tool named Inbox Repair Tool or Scanpst.exe to troubleshoot issues related to PST corruption but at times this tool too fails to do the needful. At such situation, a user has to refer some third-party PST repair software.
Below mentioned are common error messages that render PST file corruption:
- Xxx.pst cannot be accessed – 0x80040116.
- The file xxx.pst is not a personal folders file.
- The file xxx.pst could not be found.
- Unable to display the folder. The file xxx.pst could not be accessed.
- Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- File could not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check.
- Errors have been detected in the file xxxx.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help.
Since Scanpst.exe (Inbox Repair Tool) utility of MS Outlook solves minor corruption in PST file thus, if the corruption is severe then this inbuilt tool fails to do the needful and in such situation you may encounter any of the below mentioned error messages:
- The PST file fixed by Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst) is empty or does not contain the wanted items.
- The Inbox Repair Tool does not recognize the file xxx.pst
- Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) hangs endlessly and does not perform the repair.
- An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use ScanDisk to check the disk for errors, and then try using the Inbox Repair tool again.
To fix the issue and repair your precious PST file, you are left with nothing but to opt for reliable third-party Outlook PST repair software. These tools repair corrupt or damaged Outlook PST file, recover the data stored in it including emails, contacts, notes, tasks, etc, and restore them in new PST file.
An efficient and reliable tool is Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair Software. The software repairs inaccessible or corrupt Outlook PST file to recover valuable data saved on Outlook mailbox. This efficient software is designed for MS Outlook 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002, and 2000 and is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, Server2003, XP, and 2000.